St Patrick's Athletic FC

 It was my second visit to St pats, having visited three years previously. It was done, purely as a bonus game on the Friday night, having originally planned to go to Bangor Celtic on the Saturday, however with them deciding to switch the game from their usual home at the transport club to Crumlin Uniteds 4G pitch at pearse park, having already been there too, I opted to travel to Belfast on the Saturday and do Crusaders Fc, but more about that in my next blog.


I had some external interest in this game as Ryan Edmondson now plays for St Pats, having come through the ranks at York City, I watched him many times in the youth cup. Having promised much following his transfer to Leeds United, he has never lived upto the hype since, with several very uninspiring moves in his career. I have to say I wasn't expecting much from him this evening and he didn't disappoint, putting in a laboured performance against lower league opposition in Wexford United. On my previous visit to St Pats I was treated to watching the excellent Mason Melia, now of Spurs, so to say Edmondson is a backwards step is an understatement, St Pats not nearly as fluent and free flowing going forward as they were then.


Having eaten at the hotel, with time being of the essence, I had no need for food upon arrival at the ground, however the pancake van I had visited on my last visit was there once more so it was pancake with sugar and lemon juice for afters.


St Pats started the game fairly brightly and took the lead with number 11 sweeping home from the right hand side of the box. From then on in they laboured and Wexford persevered, until eventually with 20 minutes left they equalised, firing home into the roof of the net as the 100 or so away fans went wild. A cup shock looked on, with the home crowd getting edgy and wound up at every little thing. However with the clock in its final few minutes the St Pats number 9 thundered a shot in off the post cutting in from the right wing. Relief all round, the home side go into the hat for the next round but not without an almighty scare from the first division minnows.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brackley Town FC

Runcorn Linnets FC

Esh Winning FC