Ruthin Town FC

 I made a very scenic journey to the pitcheresque town of Ruthin. Catch the bus from directly outside Chester train station, it's number T8 and costs £5.20 one way taking about an hour. There is no other way to get to the remote town on public transport. The town centre itself sits on top of a hill with all roads leading off heading down into valleys, including the football ground, albeit it's only a few minutes walk from the market square and the Wetherspoons hotel where I laid my head. I have to say, first time stopping in a wetherspoons and it's considerably better value than a Premier Inn or Travelodge, with my refreshments tray including a galaxy hot chocolate, a walkers shortbread and a bottle of Welsh water, God forbid the big chains stretching to this expense.


I'd eaten earlier in the day in the Wetherspoons, Scampi, chips and mushy peas and to my delight they had Murphys, newly in on the pumps, a drink me and my dad came by when on our travels in Cork, so I had a pint of that also as it's too good to resist. £11 all in which was excellent value and my main meal sorted. I had a wander into the quaint little market hall after and purchased some blackcurrant Welsh Honey Jam which should be tasty on a scone or two. I was able to check in at 2pm, another one up on the so called value chains, with them only offering 3pm check in or midday for an extra £20, Wetherspoons will be my go to accommodation in the future if there's a choice of using them where ever I am.


I didn't set off to the ground, named the Memorial Playing Fields, and includes a cricket pitch, until gone 7pm for an 8pm kick off, admission was £9 which I found a bit steep for Cymru North, pin badge ordered off ebay as no club shop and a steak slice bought for supper for £2.50. It was a local derby vs much fancied Mold Alex and I have to say they are my tip for the title, strong, physical and they can play. The number 10 ripped Ruthin apart first half. The ground itself is a basic setup, with two small stands and the clubhouse and food along the side you enter with just open standing ground around the other three sides, but with a very good new looking perimeter fence to lean on.


The game got going and Ruthin were really miles off the pace first half, their manager Colin Caton, who I remembered from my visit to Bala where he managed for over two decades, cut a very animated figure, I bet a few tea cups were thrown in the dressing room at half time. 13 minutes in the ball was squared from the left to the Mold number 10 who was completely unmarked in the area and made no mistake. Just before the half hour, this time the number 10 turned provider, holding it up well on the edge of the area before laying it off to number 12 who let rip with a thunderous effort for 2.0 and coasting. Mold were really turning the screw and they almost added another when a dangerous cross was nearly turned in by a Ruthin body. Ruthin just couldn't get a foothold despite the best efforts of their captain who was a real leader trying to guide all the way through but to no avail.


6 minutes into the second half, in which Ruthin made 3 half time subs and their keeper did outstandingly to tip a free kick onto the bar, however the ball wasn't dealt with, the defender lunged in, penalty to Mold. They made no mistake sending the keeper the wrong way for 3.0. Ruthin did come into it slightly after that, probably with Mold taking their foot off the gas slightly, but they had plenty of possession and did manage to carve a few half chances out but they were still second best. A dinked finish 14 minutes from time, lifted over the keeper, put the icing on the cake for Mold, 4.0 and an excellent away win to the delight of their travelling fans. They nearly added a fifth in the last minute as it was knocked past the keeper and rolling in but didn't have enough pace on it and credit to the Ruthin defender he got back and hoofed it clear to spare any more embarrassment.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runcorn Linnets FC

Brackley Town FC

Esh Winning FC