FC Hartlepool

 A late September Saturday afternoon took me to the North East, to Grayfields, the home of FC Hartlepool. I took the train to York and had the morning there, before catching the 1258 Grand Central to Hartlepool arriving at 1352. The ground is about 1.5 miles walk away so I set off straight away upon arrival, getting to the ground about 1430, very late for me. Admission and a 50 50 half time draw ticket came to £7 and I made my way briefly into the bar before visiting the food facility as I hadn't eaten. Strangely their is no menu advertising what they sell so after enquiring I got 2 sausages and chips with gravy, along with a fruit shoot drink for the bargain price of £5. A special word for the chips, the best I've had at a football match since a game at Bradford Park Avenue many years ago. It was strange not having an age to wait before kick off and no sooner had I finished my chips, it was time to pick my spot to stand as the teams emerged from the tunnel.


The opposition were Tow Law Town, a team I've actually visited twice. I attempted to go on new years day a couple of years ago, got to the ground and it was postponed, supposedly due to pitch conditions but it looked fine, I think as they were rooted to the foot of the table they couldn't be bothered, probably nursing hangovers, anyhow I put my foot down and got to Stockton Town instead that day and visited Tow Law again last season, a small club with a small fan base who rely on opening the bar 7 days a week to generate enough income to keep going, they struggled again last year but so far this season they have made a good start.


The game got underway and Tow Law were very impressive. After a period of figuring each other out in the opening stages, Tow Laws excellent passing game took charge. FC Hartlepool did look a threat in the air and from set pieces, with the Tow Law Keeper making an excellent save stopping a certain headed goal during the first half. The first goal came in the 9th minute the aforementioned good passing play from Tow Law combined with a mistake at the back for Pools and the forward finished despite the keeper getting a hand to it. I fully expected Tow Law to go on and win comfortably but it didn't happen, to their credit the home side dug in and contained the threat. On the flip side I've seen FC Hartlepool a few times over the past few years and they've had some excellent players but they seemed a bit more robot like and not as free flowing this time around. Anyway on the 20 minute mark, a hopeful cross in from the left was met with really slack Tow Law defending and a free man at the back post just side footed home, you'll never see an easier goal. 1.1 and that was how the game finished, the second half really was a non event, I don't know what was said at half time but neither side really threatened at all until in added on time Tow Law hit the post with a rasping shot from distance. In both teams defence the swirling wind made conditions very difficult along with a referee and his assistants that seemed to be half asleep for most of the game and made some bizarre decisions. A crowd of 139 witnessed the game with a nunber of Hartlepool United fans in the ground bemoaning their recent struggles following Lee Clark's resignation and them being 4.1 down at Scunthorpe on the day, sending them into the bottom four of the National League, despite heavy summer investment.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Runcorn Linnets FC

Brackley Town FC

Esh Winning FC