Holywell Town FC

 I set off for North East Wales in the car for the 100 mile trip to newly promoted Holywell. The journey was a straightforward one, once we got over the M62 it was very relaxing too. We found a car park priced at £2 for the day, before moving upto the Hospital car park just outside the stadium, which was free after 3pm. The town is only small with one main High Street and not much else apart from a Tesco Supermarket just the other side of it. We wandered along the high street to look for toilet facilities, located behind the town hall, before dining at the Holywell diner, which offered very decent food even though it was like sitting in somebody's living room. Fish and chips and a Ham salad bap were ordered and two bottles of water. The Fish was good even though it was an Iceland frozen one, the chips seemed homemade and I got mushy peas and a slice of bread and butter, no tea or coffee was offered even though it was supposed to be included. I was told the Ham salad bap was excellent. We relaxed on a shady bendh afterwards before going into the Boars Head pub for a couple of hours. Quiet and spotlessly clean, before custom gradually picked up to a very healthy number, we had two drinks each in this time before heading to Tesco for some fruit. We got back into the car and headed to the ground. I'd already purchased match tickets on the excellent fanbase app. Inside the ground Holywell have a very modern clubhouse selling standard football food, a pie and a sausage roll purchased. I've had better pies and I've had worse, it was so so. I was delighted to see York City legend Jamie Reed in the home sides lineup at the ripe old age of 38. We managed to have a bit of a chat with him and were willing him to score but it wasn't to be, nevertheless I think he will be a very handy signing for Holywell. The visitors from Cymru North Denbigh Town acquitted themselves well and had a monsterous long throw that caused mayhem.


Holywell took an early lead with an excellent lobbed finish before Denbigh equalised with a tap in from one of the aforementioned throw ins. Both teams missed chances with wayward finishes before the Denbigh goalkeeper went off injured and there was a long stoppage, I'm not convinced who came on was a proper goalkeeper either, he did a lot of shouting but didn't look right. Holywell took the lead with a long ball out to the right wing and an excellent take from number 18 who took the ball in his stride and curled into the bottom corner. I've a feeling Denbigh tired as the game went on and that Holywell had some of their better player on the bench as they began to dominate as the second half went on. They got the third from a corner when it came to number 12 on the edge of the D and his shot was deflected into the goal. Soon after was full time and a very competitive game and run out for both sides as Holywell gear up for the Cymru Premier for the first time in 27 years.
























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brackley Town FC

Runcorn Linnets FC

Esh Winning FC